Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I have been continuing to work part time for Errai. Since April I have been trying numerous things to do Errai UI Navigation. I have been beating myself about how stupid I am not to get it to work. My code was full of red lines and xs in the Eclipse IDE. I tried Googling for help and was unsuccessful in finding something helpful. My mentor had stressed to thoroughly do my research before asking other developers a question because they would be more inclined to answer. Don't say just give me the code. You should provide code to show other developers you at least made an attempt at it. Finally in desperation I sent my mentor some code highlighting where the errors were. He replied that it looked like I didn't have the Errai UI dependency in the pom.xml:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.jboss.errai</groupId>
  <artifactId>errai-javaee-all</artifactId>
  <version>${errai.version}</version>
</dependency>
 
Or if you prefer to manage your project's dependency in a finer-grained way, you can depend on errai-ui directly:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.jboss.errai</groupId>
  <artifactId>errai-ui</artifactId>
  <version>${errai.version}</version>
</dependency>
 
These were not included in the reference guide. My mentor added it to the reference guide. I tried both dependencies and the finer-grained dependency solved the problem. My mentor had stressed to try to become independent. Some times one can attempt to be too independent and not ask for help. I should have asked my mentor much sooner for help. I was embarrassed I could not get even simple code to work. I would have saved myself a couple months of aggravation if I had asked sooner. My mentor is an expert on Errai since he was one of the founders. He quickly saw the problem in little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment